Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Book Review 1: Moonfleet

Couple of reviews of sailing and boating books I've read recently.

First up its that classic tale of smugglers and wreckers from the 19th Century, J. Meade Falkner's Moonfleet.

I read it last many years ago when a child, and had forgotten most of the plot until pretty much the page before when suddenly it was case of "oh, of course, I remember now, the treasure is of course hidden there" (as to where "there" is you'll just have to read it to find out).

Its a thrilling boys own yarn full of adventures in boats, escaping those darn excise men, a priceless diamond, haunted church-yards, treachery, betrayal, loyalty between men and the faithfulness of a true woman.

I say boys own, as there is a distinct lack of modern female role models: I do wonder if my nieces would enjoy it as much as my nephews. Having said that one of my niece's female cousins recently said she loved it.

The plot is a bit episodic which doesn't follow the classic Robert McKee three acts and over-arching story arc but rather bounces in different directions like a small boat in a storm.

Overall I really enjoyed it and want to head down to Dorset to explore the real village of East Fleet on which Moonfleet was based.

2 comments:

charlsiekate said...

Have you ever heard the Nickel Creek song - Moonfleet Beach? It is awesome. I'd never heard of Moonfleet until I heard this song.

(you have to scroll down) -
http://www.lyrics007.com/Nickel%20Creek%20Lyrics/Moonfleet%20Beach%20Lyrics.html

I can't find a video of the song - but here is a video of The Lighthouse Tale, which I think you might like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajQGzdCof-E

JP said...

Those are great lyrics thanks so much for pointing them out to me. And they are right Moonfleet Beach - in real life Chesil Beach - must be lethal in a south-wester in those old ships that found it hard to beat to windward.

Enjoyed the song too - beautiful tho' sad. I hadn't heard of Nickel Creek so a new one for me!