Friday, February 13, 2009

Quotation for the weekend

Feeling not that great at the moment, so spending a lot of time with feet up reading books and magazines. Within Yachting Monthly there was a flyer from a yacht builder that had amongst the talk of "inspired design" and "superb performance" there was this quote from Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Of course Mark Twain can't spell harbour correctly, but that's certainly something to think over this weekend, especially those wondering if they should sail off around the world.

9 comments:

The O'Sheas said...

I'm confused. Are we supposed to think over the correct spelling of harbor?

Like our new name? Christy at Central Air came up with it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. So Mark Twain was really English?

Anonymous said...

As the proud father of a teenage son, my favorite Twain quote is "At 14 I thought my father was an idiot. At 21 I was impressed how much he learned in the intervening 7 years".

As he is 17, I am about half way through being an idiot

JP said...

Great name!!

Another thing done this week is watch HBO's fantastic series John Adams last couple of episodes - another great man but he couldn't spell "colour" right either ;)

My niece is going to study English & American literature at uni so have given her the first great American Novel - the one written by a one Samuel Langhorne Clemens - as her holiday reading.

JP said...

Oh, and the yacht company in question, Discovery Yachts, got the spelling right!

Hurrah! I'll buy two of each from them!

Anonymous said...

One word of caution: My blog post about Living Life http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/2009/02/live-while-youre-alive-continued.html ended up in Facebook feed. Many of my clients are friends on FB and read it. I was a conf call with a bunch of senior clients and they got into talking about my upcoming sabbatical (It's 5 yeasr away). A little awkward :)

Katinka said...

Sorry to hear you're still not feeling well - that sucks :(

I'm sitting here mezmerized by that perfect image of clear blue waters and tropical islands... *sigh*

JP, I think you should fake your death (but let us all know you're alive of course), leave the rotten lurgy behind, set up a sailors commune, and make a career out of exploring those islands :)


ps( LOL re. the comment by Turinas)

O Docker said...

This could be confusing.

Now there's a Doctor O and an O Docker.

Mark Twain worked for my newspaper's crosstown rival about 150 years ago.

I think he got out of the newspaper business just in time.

JP said...

Kat: when I find a way to sail away from lurgies I will of course let you know ;)

The picture I think is Bora Bora which would be a wonderful place to sail away to......