Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When you're tired of London...

Another suggestion of a group writing project from Carol Anne over at Five O'Clock Somewhere. This time its travel related.

Here's the challenge, to: "Tell about activities that can be done close to your local sailing venue, besides sailing".

Well, I live, sail, and kayak in London, and that means there's quite a lot of things open to do! I love this city, am proud of it, and happy to babble on about all the many different things one can do.

But it is a good question, and one that I've been asked before. Of course there is a huge depends - are you into Musicals? The Arts? Roman History? Medieval History? Royalty? Shopping? Activities? Museums? Concerts? Pop? Films? Drama? Architecture? Boats? Trains? Dinosaurs? Harry Potter? Shakespeare? ... well you get the picture.

While there are the obvious ones of the British Museum, The Wheel, Parliament etc (see above), there are two things that spring to mind as recently I did have a friend coming through London and this very question came up.

So over the next two posts I'll give two different answers to that question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes that is very tough to answer. Most guests already have a pretty good idea of their top sights; so it was important to pitch out of the way ideas that fit their character. Boat to Greenwich and back by train /tube with change over at Canary wharf is a lovely contrast of historical and modern London. Second favourite is weekend Borough (sp?) market - Southbank, and Kew gardens depending on season.
I could also add a walking tour of all Hawksmoor's London churches.

all nostalgic I don't live there anylonger.

Carol Anne said...

You mention, "Of course there is a huge depends - are you into Musicals? The Arts? Roman History? Medieval History? Royalty? Shopping? Activities? Museums? Concerts? Pop? Films? Drama? Architecture? Boats? Trains? Dinosaurs? Harry Potter? Shakespeare?"

Well, in part, you can take a cue from Tillerman, who has come up with a list of 50 things to do near his sailing venue, covering anything and everything. But at the same time, you can certainly focus on just a few things that you find most rewarding.

I remember from when I was 18, seeing Peter O'Toole as Macbeth at the Old Vic (he was awful), and when I was 9, taking a stroll on a college track that I found out, only many years later, was the one upon which Sebastian Coe had broken the 4-minute mile.

JP said...

I've just posted my touristy suggestion, and there are 50 top tips along what is my favourite walk along the Thames from Westminster to London / Tower Bridge.

Tomorrow will post just the one idea that is out of the beaten track (and you might be able to guess)