Friday, December 14, 2012

This year's best non-sail: ICAP Leopard

It's getting close to the time of year when newspapers and bloggers are preparing for their review of the 2012.

There's extra spice this time round with the threatened end of the world, so just to be on the safe side this blog is getting in early with this year's best non-sail.

What is a non-sail? you might well ask. Well it's the best sailing plan that never happened for one reason or other, and for me it was to have been a day-sail on ICAP Leopard (above).

This Farr designed canting keel 30m maxi has won line honours all around the world including a Fastnet race record, and no doubt would be a blast to sail.

Obviously it is usually more than a little out of my price bracket - or so I thought until I saw an email from OnDeck Sailing offering individual places at reasonable prices. A deposit cheque was shortly in the post and I sat back to wait for the big day.

The week before I wondered if I'd missed the email on joining instructions & paying the remainder so pinged off a query only to get a disappointing reply - it had been cancelled due to lack of interest.

Lack of interest? Seriously?

But alas it wasn't to be and I now have my refund to re-invest in next year's sailing ventures.

I wonder what 2013 will bring?

No comments: